Fences

Not too far from here lies a beautiful church. It is red bricked, with cream columns, a beautiful steeple and fancy rod iron fence. The rod iron fence encloses the church’s entire property and it stays securely locked to prevent anyone unwanted on the property. Directly across that beautiful church is a nice park, with trees that give shade and places for sitting. This nice park isn’t just a park; many homeless people have taken up residence at this park. This park is home to many people who have nothing, literally nothing. This beautiful church lies across the street and it is in the perfect place to reach out, to help and show Christ’s love. However, in place of Christ’s heart is a rod iron fence that is securely locked, keeping out those who we are commanded to love. Matthew 25:40 

This isn’t a bash on that specific church or its people, for I fear that most churches would do the same. I am afraid to believe that many of us, whether physical or figuratively, put up gates and keep “the least of them” out. We go to our comfortable church and sit in our comfortable pews, when church is over we indulge in a meal and family or social gathering. We go home to our comfortable homes, lie down in our comfortable beds and sleep comfortably. We give not a thought of those very one’s we are commanded to love. I say WE, because I include myself in this. I am probably the worst of them, the one who cast judgment and looks the other way. If you don’t do this, if you do love the least of them, than know you are in the minority and I praise the living God for you. I pray to be more like you, to love more like you, to care more like you do.  

I don't have much more to say on this matter. I am left feeling ashamed and speechless. However, I will leave you with this verse to ponder;  

No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 2 Timothy 2:4 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment